May 1, 2006

Blood Work

On Wednesday the 26th I went in the Dr and had some blood drawn. Just a routine checkup for cholesterol and diabetes. I had gone in on Monday the 24th and visited with the Dr, but didn't fast, so I had to go back another day for the blood work. I got the results back. The diabetes test came back normal. That is good because diabetes runs in my family. The cholesterol wasn't so good. The overrall count was 188. The nurse said it should be below 200. The good cholesterol was a little low at 38 and the bad was 139. I can't remember what the ranges are suppoed to be, except that the good should be over 40. The Dr recommends a low fat, low cholesterol diet. Ok, I can do that, I think!

Well, as I have been grocery shopping I have been looking at the lables. I don't do that very often, obviously! Because now I KNOW we don't eat very well! But how come is it that all the bad for you food has no cholesterol? I mean sure 8 grams of fat per serving isn't too hot, but no cholesterol in the cookies REALLY makes it EASY to say YES! LOL And the hamburger is pretty high in both areas. I buy ground turkey because it is cheaper and I thought it was better for you. Well, surprise, surprise, it is just about as bad! I looked at the Boca Burgers (vegetarian burgers) and they were WAY LOW in both fat and Cholesterol. And even pretty high in protien. Maybe I will start buying those! LOL

God Bless!

No comments: