May 1, 2006

Mammograms

On April 28th I had my first mammogram! I am considered young (although I feel ancient sometimes!) and they say you should have your first one at about 35 :) Since my mom was diagnosed in September 2005 with breast cancer I have felt I should have a mammogram, if not for anything else, but something to base future mammograms on. My Dr wasn't even concerned when I met with her on the 24th of April.

I have heard HORROR stories about how painful they are! I have been sent emails about the woman who is talking to her husband and has very pointed but smashed breasts and says 'Yes I had a mammogram today, how did you know?' (I wonder if I have that picture somewhere on my computer?) After all that how can one NOT be scared to have a mammogram?

Well, I went and had it done finally! LOL And it wasn't near as bad as everyone had led me to believe! Sure it was uncomfortable and after I wondered if I would be a little bruised the next day, but I didn't cry. The technician was very nice (except where she wouldn't let my mom come in with me, although that wasn't her fault. It seems the hospital says it is against the law for anyone else to be in the room. Oh well, I survived!)

God Bless!

Oh yeah, I got a letter a few days later stating that they were 'pleased to inform me that my mammogram showed no signs of cancer' and to return in a year for another bilateral mammogram. YAY! And no, I didn't bruise.

No comments: